When creating or updating your website, it’s always important to keep SEO in mind. Unfortunately, one area that is often overlooked is the product description. While describing your product may seem as though it’s second nature — colors, materials, designs, etc. — creating an engaging, thorough, and articulate description of the product is essential. Let’s take a look at why a great product description is important, what you need to include, and how to optimize your descriptions for SEO.
Why Product Descriptions Matter
Product descriptions have a dual purpose: selling to your customers and selling to search engines. Without a successful product description, shoppers may not be convinced to purchase your product, and search engines may not rank you as highly as they would otherwise.
Without a quality description of the product, how are you going to convince your customers to invest in your product? A good product description is more than just describing the item in question. In order to fully capture your customer’s attention, you must write a description that is creative, articulate, and answers questions that your customer will have while thinking about your product.
Writing a Great Product Description
As we mentioned earlier, it’s not enough to just describe your product’s specifications. When you write a product description, you need to do a few things:
- Talk to your target market: If your ideal customer is in high school, make sure you use the tone and language that is used by your customers. If you’re selling skateboards, you wouldn’t want to use the same language that you would if you were selling tractors.
- Be about more than features: While it may be nice to explain what the features of your product are, your customers truly want to know how this product can address their specific concerns. Explain to your customers what the benefits of the product are rather than the features. Want to one-up the competition? Create a product video that talks about the item in-depth as well as shows off its details.
- Use your imagination: Your customers can’t hold your product in their hands, so make sure they are fully equipped to imagine exactly what it’s like. Using sensory adjectives can be helpful in describing your products because they give readers the ability to create a more vivid picture in their heads.
There are a few things that you can do to create product descriptions that catch the attention of your customers and search engines:
- Make sure your text is easily readable without multiple long paragraphs.
- Write clearly and concisely with no spelling errors.
- Include your product’s keywords when possible.
- Use short paragraphs, bullet points, images, and even tables to convey information in an easy-to-read format.
The most important of these suggestions is, “include keywords when possible.” One of the worst things you can do is oversaturate your text with keywords to the point that your customers think, “Wow. That seems really unnecessary.” You want to use keywords enough to register in search engines but not so much as to distract customers.
Creating the best product descriptions for your website is essential and can seem overwhelming. At Moose May, we’re here to help. Whether you’re looking for a comprehensive marketing plan that includes blog content along with social media and implementation, or just updating your website to be more SEO friendly, we’ve got you covered. Contact us and see how we can take your SEO to the next level!